In addition to our own publications, we’ve compiled some of the most important resources for people in international education. We’re always adding to this list, so please check back or send tips on anything we missed to email@example.com.
Here’s a list of the major conferences on international education that will take place within the next year:
|Aug. 21 – 24
Free State, ZA
|International Education Assocation of South Africa (IEASA) Annual Conference: This year’s theme is “Internationalization in a Changing World: Higher Education’s Response”.|
|Sept 10 – 13
|The European Association for International Education (EAIE) Annual Conference: This is the largest international education conference in Europe, offering hundreds of exhibitors, a broad range of educational events, and countless networking opportunities to international higher education professionals from all over the world.The theme for 2013 is ‘Weaving the future of global partnerships’.|
|Oct 8 – 11
|The Australian International Education Conference (AIEC): Details of the 2013 event to be announced.|
|Nov 3 – 6
|The Canadian Bureau of International Education (CBIE) Annual Conference: CBIE’s Annual Conference is the premiere event for international educators from across Canada and the world. The Conference features outstanding professional development workshops, concurrent sessions and networking opportunities.|
|Nov 14 – 17
|The Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) Annual Conference: In Shanghai, you will explore the impact of a rapidly changing global economy on the field of study abroad and how educators and professionals can give students the tools necessary to flourish in it. This year’s theme is ‘Global Perspectives: Developing strategic initiatives, educating for a world economy’.|
|Feb. 16 – 19
|Association of International Education Administrators (AIEA) Annual Conference: This conference focuses on bringing together senior-level leaders from universities worldwide to discuss issues within higher education administration as well as the impact higher education institutions can have on the world at large.|
|April 29 – May 1
|Going Global, the British Council : Provides a global network for policy makers and practitioners working in the field of international education by connecting local, national, regional and global agendas.|
|March 17 – 20
|Asia – Pacific Association for International Education (APAIE) Conference: Hosted every year by an Asian university, this conference presents a great opportunity to delve into the internationalization of higher education in the Asia-Pacific region.|
|March 26 – 28
|EFMD Conference for International, External and Corporate Relations, PR, Marketing, Communication and Alumni Professionals: An intimate conference for university professionals at European business schools, this conference is an excellent chance for business schools to network and share best practices among peers.|
|May 25 – 30
San Diego, CA
|NAFSA Annual Conference: The NAFSA annual conference brings together international education specialists from all over the world for an intense week of networking opportunities and learning. With an expo center hosting representatives from over 400 global institutions and offering hundreds of workshops, seminars, sessions, and other special events, this conference is truly comprehensive.|
|Academic Cooperation Association (ACA) Annual Conference: This conference brings together central actors, decision-makers, policy-makers, and practitioners in higher education to discuss the the important issues related to European and international education.|
- Academic Cooperation Association (ACA): This alliance of national organizations from Europe and beyond – all of which fund and encourage the internationalization of their own higher education institutions – produces studies, organizes international seminars and conferences, and provides information on new developments in global higher education.
- American Council on Education (ACE) Center for Internationalization and Global Engagement (CIGE): This ACE initiative is focused on promoting comprehensive internationalization on US campuses and situating US higher education in a global context.
- Boston College Center for International Higher Education (CIHE): CIHE is involved in a number of initiatives that advance knowledge about the complex realities of higher education in the contemporary world.
- Diversity Abroad Network: The Diversity Abroad Network is the leading consortium of higher education institutions, government agencies, for-profit and non-profit organizations dedicated to increasing access and advancing diversity and equity in international education.
- Forum on Education Abroad: Not only does this non-profit organization serve as the Standards Development Organization (recognized by the US Government) in the field of education abroad, but it also produces research, publications, and events related to education abroad.
- Institute of International Education (IIE): In addition to its collaborative work with students, practitioners, and institutions, IIE produces a robust body of research and publications (much of which is available online) and serves as an extremely informative resource to the international education community. IIE is also home to the Center for Academic Mobility Research, which has a special focus on the global mobility of students and faculty.
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators: NAFSA is the world’s largest non-profit professional association dedicated to international education.
Books and Journals
- Frontiers Journal: This is an interdisciplinary journal that biannually publishes articles on critical issues and concerns related to study abroad, examining in particular the intellectual development of students in international and intercultural contexts.
- International Higher Education: The flagship quarterly publication of the Boston College Center for International Higher Education.
- International Handbook of Higher Education: This book is a central, authoritative reference source on the most essential topics in higher education as seen through an international perspective.
- Journal of Studies in International Education: This biannually published, globally oriented academic journal prints original research and review articles on the internationalization of higher education.
- National Priority Statements: These formal policy statements were prepared by delegations from 15 different countries as a part of the 2012 International Education Summit in Washington, DC.
Websites and Blogs
- IDP Database of Research on International Education: This searchable database, managed by the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER), contains the details of more than 8,000 books, articles, conference papers, and reports on various aspects of international education from publishers in Australia and beyond.
- International Higher Education Consulting Blog: Written by David Comp, this blog covers a range of issues in international education exchange.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education: This is the go-to resource for higher education professionals; available online and in print, it features daily news, blogs, advice columns, facts and data, job listings, discussion forums, and more.
- Guardian International Education News: From The Guardian, this resource offers news, blogs, opinion, and analysis related to international education, with additional features on higher education, commonwealth universities, and international students.
- Inside Higher Ed: An online higher education resource featuring news, opinion, and jobs.
- New York Times/International Herald Tribune International Education News: Timely analysis on international education provided by The New York Times and the International Herald Tribune.
- Times Higher Education: A site offering not only world university rankings but also news, opinion, and jobs, as well as information on higher education events.
- SECUSS-L: This is an independent list managed by volunteers established for the sole purpose of sharing information on subjects related to education abroad. Subscribe to this listserv here (just type in SECUSS-L) and learn more about other affiliated international education listservs here.
- University World News: One of the first high-quality and truly international media outlets to cover global education, this site provides a weekly email newsletter and a dedicated news website, all free of charge.
- US News & World Report: The focus here is on comprehensive rankings of US and international universities according to several metrics, although there is also news and blog content about current happenings in the world of education.
- World Education Services Research and Advisory Services: Their World Education News and Reviews newsletter covers both regional news and trends in international student mobility.
- Boston College Center for International Higher Education: @BC_CIHE
- Chronicle of Higher Education: @GlobalChronicle
- David Comp: @DavidComp
- EAIE: European Association for International Education: @TheEAIE
- Guardian International Education News: @GuardianEdu
- Inside Higher Ed: @insidehighered
- Institute of International Education: @IIEglobal
- Kris Olds: @GlobalHigherEd
- NAFSA: @NAFSA
- Times Higher Education: @timeshighered
- University World News: @uniworldnews
- Our own Twitter feed (of course!): @MeganBrennWhite
- Council for Advancement and Support of Education
- Diversity in International Education
- EAIE: European Association for International Education
- Inside Higher Ed – The New Conversation
- International Education Forum
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- Research in Internationalization of Higher Education
- Study Abroad Faculty & Professionals
These are some excellent sources of statistics on international education:
- European Commission: CORDIS, Education & Training, Research & Innovation, Eurydice
- IIE: Open Doors Data & Atlas of Student Mobility (the latter published in cooperation with multiple partner agencies/researchers)
- National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- UNESCO – Education Worldwide